Sunday, May 21, 2017

Cali Vacay

You know what? I am a California girl and I don't think that will ever change. 

I probably won't ever live in California again, but it is definitely one of my favorite places to be. I am on vacation currently and loving being back in California after almost three years. Three years is way too long to be away. I've spent quite a lot of time in the sun and at the beach. Goodness, salt water and sand sure does my body good.


My body needs this because I put it to good use last Monday. I hiked the Grand Canyon with some of my favorite people. About six years ago we all worked together at a hotel near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. During that time we all got to hike from the North Rim to the South Rim in one day. So, we decided to have a reunion and hike the canyon again together. The trip started out smoothly, we all got up on time and made it out of the campsite at the time we had planned for. But then we got to the entrance of the park, and the gate was closed! It didn't open for two more hours, so before we even started our hike we were two hours behind. The hike was difficult but fun. We made pretty good time to Phantom Ranch (our mid-point), but then came the time to hike up, up up. That was when it really became challenging. We made it out of the canyon safely at about 12:30 AM. It was a long day and a long drive back to camp. I'll just say that my body is still recovering and I have been sleeping really well. Overall, I'm really proud of how I did on the hike. It helped me to see my strengths and weaknesses physically. Dad wants to hike the canyon in November, and I'll be aiming to do even better.



The only down-side to this amazing vacation in San Diego is that McKay had to stay home. Before this trip the longest we had been apart was one night. I have officially been away from my husband for 8 days. I miss waking up to his handsome face each morning. And I miss McKay hugs. We've been able to text here and there and talk every night, which is a huge blessing of modern technology. 

As much as I miss the love of my life, I feel proud of myself that I can take a vacation for and by myself. I love being paired with McKay in ever sense, but I have loved finding myself and doing things for myself the past few months. I love finding out who I am now. I can still be independent. I feel like I can't call McKay my other half. Although we do complement each other and in a sense "complete" each other, we are whole people, not just halves. I think I forgot that for a while. But I am loving finding me again. 

Other things I've done this week:
Beach, beach, and more beach
Kayaking with Jess
Ate delicious Cuban food
Found out what peroneal tendonitis is
Visited family
Played barbies with my sweet niece
Narrowly escaped the stomach flu
Boogie boarding at the beach
Made German Chocolate Cake for Dad's birthday (YUM)
Kristen's recipe

What I'm looking forward to this week:
Spending lots of time with my brother's kids
Possible zoo trip
A few more days in California
Seeing McKay on Wednesday night
My first pack meeting for the cubscouts
More beach time
Having fun with Mom and Grandma
Seeing my puppies again

Current Goals:
Finish re-reading Joseph Smith History
Start reading the Gospel Topic Essays
Heal my foot and get back to Crossfit
Start eating a ton of veggies
Improve my relationship with my Heavenly Father

Love you all!!!


4 comments:

  1. Such wonderful happenings! I love that you are finding yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your trip sounds awesome! Good job on the hike! Did something happen to your foot??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just overused it a tad on the hike. It's already improving :)

      Delete