Sunday, February 5, 2017

Circus, seven peaks, doulas, and posset

Well, well, well, here is week number two! It's been a fun one! 
We have a weekly Family Home Evening with McKay's siblings, Chandler and Shae. This week on Monday we got to go see the Jordan World Circus in Orem. It was so exciting and fun! They had a lot of different acts, from clowns and performing dogs, to pachyderms and a human cannon ball. The best act of the night was called the wheel. It was a huge spinning contraption with a wheel on top. A man would run inside the wheel and use the gravity as it spun to do neat tricks as he fell. It's kinda hard to explain, but the pictures explain all. The elephants were another one of my favorite parts. There were two Asian elephants and they were ridden by cowgirls...a little weird for elephants. They had one of the elephants lie down on her side and the other elephant "jumped" over it. It was as close to a jump as you can imagine an elephant doing. It was so cute and funny. The circus was definitely worth the $10 tickets we found on group-on.


It's a little tough being an animal lover and really enjoying the circus without thinking about how the animals are taken care of. All of the animals looked fat and happy, but I can't help thinking that they would be so much happier in a larger enclosure. I know animals born in captivity would never make it in the wild, but I feel like they should be given the best we can give them. Anyway, enough of my animal loving/animal rights stuff...haha.

This week we also were able to spend a day with my siblings and their spouses on a "sibling date". My siblings that have kids dropped them off at Grandma and Grandpa's house and we headed to Seven Peaks. I'd never heard of Seven Peaks, but apparently it is a company that has a handful of water parks all over Utah. They have one facility in Lehi that they call a "fun center". It has a water park, and so much more. Our GPS took us to the parking lot, and it looked a little sketchy. We parked in a parking garage that had an assortment of spray painted pieces of art...I took a picture of one of the pieces and I'll include it. They had zombies, paintballers, dragons, a creepy monkey, a tank etc., lots of weird stuff. When we found the entrance the fun started. There was laser tag, rock climbing, arcade games, mini golf, pizza, and dip'n dots. We had a really fun time.

Part of our current situation is that I am at home. I'm not working, going to school, or taking care of kids. It's just kinda how it turned out. It may change in the future, but this is where we are at this point in time. It can be really enjoyable spending the day at home with our dogs and not needing to ask for time off when I want to spend the day doing something. However, it can also be really dull and difficult to spend the day at home. I spent a chunk of time this week pondering why I have been given this time with few responsibilities. What does my Heavenly Father need me to accomplish during this time? What should my purpose be? One possibility I've been contemplating recently is taking the time to become a doula. For those of you that don't know what a doula is, a doula is a lot of things. She is a birth coach, she interprets medical speak for the family, she helps the family (mom, dad, any kids involved) know and process what happens during labor and birth, she helps ease and speed up the labor and birth. A doula is not a midwife; a doula does not deliver a baby. She doesn't do anything medical. The closest a doula might do to medicine is helping the mother get into different position to help the birth along or giving counter pressure during contractions. With what I've heard about doulas, I've been thinking about moving forward with learning and training to become a certified doula. So my first step is to read a lot of books. I have two that I'm currently working on and have a long list of others to get through. After I read a handful of them I can go to a three day training to start the certification process. So that is getting me a little excited.

I found a delicious and really simple dessert this week. It is called a posset. Apparently it is an old British dessert that originated as a hot drink. Today it ends up more of a custard or mousse. But oh my, it is so simple to make and so tasty to eat! The recipe I used is from a blog called "The Adventure Bite". So yummy! Please try it and love it and make it for everyone you know!

That's all from me for this week. Have a fantastic week!! Love you all!!!

3 comments:

  1. A doula sounds like such an awesome idea! You would be so great at that!! I'll be excited to hear how that progresses. Shae told me all about the circus. In hearing about it, I think the skipping elephants were my favorite. And she took some action shots of the one elephant jumping over the other. It cracked me up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so great you guys live by family and get to spend time with them! Good luck in your work to becoming a doula. It seems like it would be a very rewarding type of work.
    Elyse

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I know you were thinking about becoming a doula ... if you told me and I forgot, I apologize. I'm catching up on your blog posts.

    ReplyDelete