Saturday, April 22, 2017

Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome

I try not to blog about infertility too often because I don't want people to think thats all I ever think about, but something kind of big happened this week.

After I had my hysterosalpingogram done, McKay and I decided we would wait two months before we did any other tests or asked my doctor what else we could do. Two months have passed and nothing new. Previously, during visits with my doctors they have suggested that I might not be ovulating regularly and this could be the cause of our infertility. So, this week McKay and I decided to ask my doctor for a medication called Clomiphene. Clomiphene is supposed to force my body to ovulate. I called and asked for a prescription and  was told that the doctor would give me one for Clomiphene, and one for Metformin. The Metformin was because the doctor is pretty sure that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS). I've been suspecting this for a while now, but it was news to me that my doctor thought so too. I won't go into detail, but every doctor I've been to I've asked about the possibility of having PCOS. Every doctor I've been to has seemed to think that was not the issue for me, until now. Along the way I have found out tidbits about my body that has led me to suspect PCOS, but without a diagnosis from a doctor I was never sure. It's a relief now to have the diagnosis.

PCOS is a condition that keeps a woman's body from ovulating regularly. Often times the woman will have cysts on her ovaries. Insulin resistance is thought to be a possible cause.  This causes hormone imbalances, weight gain, acne, dark hair where women shouldn't have dark hair, and all kinds of other issues. Luckily, I feel like mine is only mild. I do have some of these symptoms, and I am slightly insulin resistant. 

On Thursday, when I was diagnosed, I felt pretty devastated. My body is the cause for McKay and I not having children. I was frustrated with the doctors I've been to. Why hadn't they been able to realize that I had PCOS long before now? And I was sad. PCOS isn't curable and I'll probably have to deal with it each time I want to get pregnant. 

But, on the flip side, we finally know why we haven't been able to get pregnant. We finally have a cause, and while it isn't curable, it is treatable. And that part is so relieving. The Metformin that my doctor prescribed for me is supposed to help my body use insulin better which should help everything else along. So on Friday afternoon I picked up my prescriptions and am now looking forward to seeing how the medication helps my body. 

McKay and I have a renewed hope that with this diagnosis and treatments its possible that we might be welcoming a baby into our family within the next year. There is always the possibility that the strength and amount of the meds will need to be adjusted before it actually works for us. But we're hopeful again and feel happy. 

Other Things That Happened This Week:
Watched an episode of Planet Earth II (I love nature documentaries)
Hiked the Y, twice (training for the Grand Canyon)
McKay turned down a job offer (it just wasn't tempting enough)
Saw my lovely twin Larissa and met my new cute nephew
Had a picnic in a park with McKay (the weather has been really beautiful)


2 comments:

  1. Yay for some answers and a "cause." You two are amazing! Keep looking up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this girl!! Let me know if you need anything!

    ReplyDelete